Many engines have been replaced due to IMS or cylinder failures, so it's not always known by even vehicle owners if the engine has been replaced. However, it's simple.
The engine number is located on the side of the oil sump. The serial number also includes the m-code which tells you what engine it is as well.
If the engine has an X in the part number, it is re-manufactured.
If it has a Y, it's factory new replacement.
- Here is a breakdown of all the m-codes as well:
- M96.20 2.5 Liter 97-99 Boxster
- M96.22 2.7 Liter 00-02 Boxster
- M96.23 2.7 Liter 03-04 Boxster
- M96.25 2.7 Liter 05-06 Boxster
- M97.20 2.7 Liter 07-08 Boxster, 08 Boxster Limited Edition, 07-08 Cayman
- M96.21 3.2 Liter 00-02 Boxster S
- M96.24 3.2 Liter 03-04 Boxster S, 04 Boxster S Special Edition
- M96.26 3.2 Liter 05-06 Boxster S
- M96.01 3.4 Liter 99 Carrera, Carrera 4
- M96.02 3.4 Liter 99 Carrera, Carrera 4
- M96.04 3.4 Liter 00-01 Carrera, Carrera 4
- M97.21 3.4 Liter 07-08 Boxster S, 08 Boxster S Limited Edition, 06-08 Cayman S
- M96.03 3.6 Liter 02-05 Carrera (996), 02-04 Carrera 4, 02-05 Carrera 4S
- M96.05 3.6 Liter 05-08 Carrera (997), 06-08 Carrera 4, 07-08 Targa 4
- M97.01 3.8 Liter 05-08 Carrera S, 06-08 Carrera 4S, 07-08 Targa 4S
Need a stock replacement engine in a hurry? Check out RND Engines.
All replacement engines come with Nickies and IMS Retrofit standard so you know you are getting the best possible replacement engine for your vehicle on budget, with 1-5 days delivery time nationwide, and a transferable 12 month, 12,000 mile limited warranty.