LN Engineering is proud to offer our Nickies™, the ultimate cylinders for your powerful & reliable aircooled engine.
It is not always that you hear high performance and long life paired together, especially when referring to performance aircooled engines. It is very typical, even with high-powered cooling systems, that high-performance engines run too hot, and as you know heat kills!
Higher operating temperatures result in a thermally overloaded engine that, among other things, has cylinders that fail to seal against the head and have significantly shorter life spans versus stock displacement engines.
Displacement alone doesn't make it better, Nickies™ make it run cooler and make more power.
Our Nickies™ package is the culmination of every technological advance related to pistons and cylinders for your aircooled engine!
Nickies™ make the difference!
Our NSC-plated, CNC billet, solid aluminum Nickies™ provide:
Limited lifetime warranty on NSC-plating
Increased cooling significantly reduces head and oil temperatures
Increased horsepower over cast-iron cylinders
Significantly reduced cylinder wear and increased ring life due to superior oiling (nickel silicon carbide composite coating is oleophilic i.e. oil-liking)
Matched expansion with JE Pistons
Greater flexibility with custom or single replacement cylinders
Interchangeability with factory cylinders allowing use of factory tin and air deflectors
Half-mooned windage-notched skirts for increased horsepower *where applicable.
Cylinders can be re-honed or re-plated at a fraction of the original price
The largest available slip-fit and machine-in bore sizes with longevity and durability exceeding that of original equipment cylinders
ARP Head Studs or equivalent head studs required
Nickies™ ruled as legal in SCCA as replacement cylinders.
- All cylinders supplied with surface ground deck except 2.0 or cylinders ordered custom with flame ring or sealing ring provisions, which then have a media-blasted surface finish.
- 2.0 911/914-6 cylinders utilize original head sealing arrangement and accept factory head gasket but are also offered with 2.2 style head configuration at no extra charge.
- All cylinders are not cut for o-ring or head gaskets.
- We offer flame-ringing or other modifications to your Nickies™ cylinders for a small fee. Customer must provide specifications for sealing ring or flame ring grooves
- 964 and 993 cylinders use late-style sealing configuration; early 964 heads must be updated per factory bulletin. Specifications can be found in Porsche Carrera 964 Technical Data Without Guesswork, Bentley Publishers, 15-4, cylinder head machining.
- 964 and 993 cylinders do not have o-ring provision for engine case. Sealant must be used as on all our other cylinders. Base shims or gaskets are sold separately in custom thicknesses. Curil T or Curil K is recommended for sealing all cylinder bases.
- New head studs recommended. We use and sell ARP head studs, however, there are several choices available including OE 993TT Dilivar, Supertec, and other head studs available that are compatible with Nickies cylinders.