VW Type 4 Crankcase Stud Thru-Bolt Kit
Instructions and Specifications
- Disregard the plastic spacers
found on stock crankcase through bolts. Note: the original purpose of the
plastic spacers was to simplify assembly
during mass production by holding the bolts in place for assembly workers, so
their removal will not compromise function or performance.
- After assembling the bottom end of the engine, but before applying curing
sealants to crankcase halves and putting them together, prep the studs by
applying the supplied ARP moly-lube to the threads on both ends of each stud and
a non-hardening sealant such as Hylomar or Curil-T on both sides of the
ahead and put one nut and washer on each stud. Have them lying out ready to put
in place as soon as the crankcase halves go together.
- As time is of the essence, immediately after applying sealant to the crankcase halves and putting them
together, install the studs, washers, and nuts as
normal. The nuts fit either a 12-point 7/16” or 12-point 11mm socket.
tighten each nut to 20 ft-lb in the following sequence:
4 2 6
5 1 3
- Tighten the two bolts surrounding the #4 main bearing to the factory setting.
- Tighten the remaining bolts all around the crankcase to their factory
- Now that you can slow down once again, go back and retighten the six studs to
32 ft-lb in the same sequence.
- Tighten nuts to final torque spec of 36 ft-lb again using the same sequence.
- Repeat above step to ensure that all nuts received the proper preload.
- Wipe off excess moly lube on studs.
Your case studs are designed to the highest standards and manufactured by
ARP. The threads on the studs are 3/8”-24. The use of studs instead of bolts
does not create a performance compromise, but does add flexibility to
disassembly procedures by allowing them to be removed from either side of the
engine – a trait very useful when only disassembling half of the engine for a
Cross Reference: 021101145B, RWE-7001
The Seller, hereby expressly disclaims all warranties either express or implied, including any implied warranty of
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose, and neither assumes nor authorizes any other person to assume for it any
liability in connection with the sale of this part(s) and/or service. Buyer shall not be entitled to recover any consequential
damages, damages to property, damages for loss of use, loss of time, loss of profits, or income, or any other incidental
damages. In addition, expressly excluded is any liability for defects pertaining to safety or performance, by way of ‘‘strict
liability’’, negligence or otherwise. In the event of non-payment, the Buyer agrees that the costs of collection including court
cost, and reasonable attorney’s fees, shall be recoverable from the Buyer. The Buyer has read and with any transaction,
agrees to all of the terms and conditions in connection with the Seller.
• All Returns/Exchanges Require Written or Verbal Pre-Authorization and RMA Number.
• Positively No Exchanges Without This Invoice.
• No Refunds On Opened Packages Or Used Parts.
• Items Returned Must Be In Original Packaging.
• No Refunds On Special Orders.
• No Return On IMS Parts.
• No Refunds After 30 Days.
• 25% Handling Charge On All Returned Items.
• No Returns On Electrical Parts.
• Refund On Purchases Paid By Check Are Refunded After Check Clears.
• Limited Lifetime Warranty on NSC plating provided by Millennium Technologies LLC and subject to their terms and conditions.
• There is no warranty on blocks processed with the Nickies Lite direct plating process.
• Any Damage Must Be Reported to the Shipper and LN within 24 Hours of Receipt.